Due to COVID-19 the Street Entertainer Program has been suspended until further notice. Ensuring performers and the public adhere to the COVID-19 public health safety measures is of the utmost importance and we are currently looking for ways to safely restart the program.
We love to have talented performers entertain people on the streets of Downtown Courtenay!
There is a Street Entertainer Permit that must be applied for, at the City of Courtenay. Here are the guidelines for busking downtown:
The City of Courtenay regulates the performances of street entertainers in the City. To request a street entertainer permit: Complete the application form (see bottom of this page) and submit your completed application with a video sample of your entertainment and a headshot to firstname.lastname@example.org. Paper applications are accepted at City Hall -830 Cliffe Avenue, however, video/headshot must be sent to the aforementioned email address.
There is a $25 nonrefundable permit fee that you will need to pay once you are approved.
• Performances are permitted between 10:00 am and 10:00 pm, seven days a week
• Performances are limited to a maximum of two hours in any one location. You cannot repeat a performance at the same location on the same day.
Locations: There are five designated locations. Private property is not covered by the Street Entertainer Program.
Unrestricted location: allows amplification audible beyond 75 metres; no amplified vocals
• Sid Williams Theatre fountain plaza
Restricted Location: no amplification except non-acoustic instruments. No sound audible beyond 75 metres
• Comox Valley Centre for the Arts (Comox Valley Art Gallery) Plaza
• 5th and England – north east corner (old Palace Theatre site)
• 5th and England – north west corner (near parking lot at 407 5th Street)
• 4th and England – south west corner (near municipal parking lot)
Do: • Ensure your ID badge is clearly displayed during your performance
• Remove all litter and garbage generated by the performance
• Keep the sidewalk clear for pedestrians
• Feel free to have an open container for donations and/or sell recordings during your performance
• Vacate the premises if requested by a Peace Officer, i.e. Bylaw Enforcement or other City representative
• For groups: ensure all group members are included on your permit. Group performances must include at least two of the group members
• Use profanity
• Use dangerous props
• Use props in a way that could injure or cause damage to the public
• Consume, or perform under the influence of, alcohol or drugs
• Aggressively solicit for donations, verbally or otherwise
• Perform at a location that has already been booked for a special event, unless permitted by the City or event organizer